Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Going to the Country

Every Sunday Keith and I tutor four primary school students in oral English. This past weekend one of our students, Gary, invited us to spend an afternoon in the countryside at his home. We loaded in his father's van and headed out of the city. It was wonderful to breathe fresh, sweet-smelling air. The city is rather polluted. In China, Gary's family would be considered "rich peasants." Their newly built two-story home has the kitchen in another small building separated by a narrow courtyard from the main house. In the courtyard is the pig pen and chicken coop - but the chickens roam throughout the entire yard.

We walked through the garden and around the rice paddies where we met Harry the water buffalo. I helped Gary feed the chickens and we played with their new puppy, DuDu (which sounds like "doo doo"). I told them they should get another dog and name him PeePee! Despite his English being quite good, I was surprised that Gary actually understood the joke...When I was checking out the pig, I nonchalantly shooed a chick away who was getting to close too my face. I had failed to notice five other chickens sitting in a nearby basket. When they saw my hand swing over them, they all flocked towards me in panic. I shrieked loudly and hurried away swinging my arms to fend off the chickens! I caused such an uproar that Gary's grandmother came to see if everything was OK!
Harry


After a few hours of playing with the kids (none of the adults spoke any English), we had a huge feast prepared by Gary's mother and aunt. It was so lovely to have a home-cooked meal! I never cook at my apartment and eat out almost every evening. It was one of the best meals I've had since arriving in China, particularly the duck legs. After eating like it was Thanksgiving, we returned to campus.

Group Photo


The Feast (which I can't get to load right-side up)

0 comments:

Post a Comment